19 February 2006

No time for heroics


So I was watching Star Wars. I've done that before. It was my favorite one, Return of the Jedi. But something caught my attention this time. In the middle of the battle between the Ewoks and the Stormtroopers on the moon of Endor, C3-PO says to R2-D2, who is about to rush into the middle of things, "This is no time for heroics!"
Which is ironic. Because it's exactly the right time for heroics. There's not better time for heroics than when they are desperately needed. (Which they were, Han and Leia didn't know what to do.)
It just makes me stop and think. I'm not exactly sure about what. Except that I think sometimes we (or I) get too concerned about staying safe. About staying out of the way of the blaster fire so I don't get hurt. So concerned that we forget to do the heroic things that we should be doing.
I'm not really sure what type of heroics I'm talking about. Maybe just heroic love. What's that? I dunno. Being loving when there's no earthly reason to be. Or when there are plenty of earthly reasons to be but I just don't feel like it.
Of course, heroic R2-D2 ends up getting shot and short circuits. But it's just a movie anyway. And he survives.

4 comments:

Scattering said...

True that. I'll try to think of some times when being heroic would be better than being safe. Maybe Ill let you know.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, this is a thinker... I think we often, without actually saying it, tell each other "This is no time for heroics." Of course not since Han and Leia aren't in dire straights and we don't see any blasters nearby. But since we're living outside the plot of this movie this is probably exactly when heroics are necessary.

I think heroics have been misrepresented in our movie minds and so it's easy to miss the time for them. I hope to avoid a cliche here but I really think the heroics that I often overlook are the "easy" things that are hard to do. I know, that's not very specific but I think we'd all much rather someone do a heroic thing for us each day (listen to AND hear us, respect us, help carry a heavy load (physical or otherwise), etc.) than wait until we're slipping off the edge of a cliff to swoop in and save the day.

EVERY time is the time for heroics AND we will not feel like heroes every time.

Ok, back to work.

Scattering said...

Ooohhh... nice thoughts Ashley.

Daniel said...

Strict definitions of hero include their demigod status or descent from the gods, i.e. Achilles. With this in mind, maybe heroic deeds need God to help the "hero." Or vice versa, "heroes" need God to do heroic things.

kandpdia